Thursday, April 5, 2012

I Have Seen The Lord!


Daybreak was still a few hours away. She woke, if you can call the restless hours she had laid upon her bed sleep, dressed and prepared her small satchel. The oils, spices and cleaned strips of burial clothes packed securely. A light tap on her door brought her companion. She picked up the bag and opened the door. The morning air brought a hint of the warmth of day.

They spoke few words as they headed to their task. The sadness that cloaked their hearts seeped out into their words. Their task was not one they looked forward to. As they traveled and spoke they remembered the stone. How would they move it? It was so large. Perhaps someone would be there to help.

The first rays of sunlight had just broken the horizon when the earthquake stopped them in their tracks. The second one in 3 days. Terror seized their hearts. But they had an important task. They wouldn’t be stopped by an earthquake. As they approached the garden the scent of the early spring flowers reached them. The garden was beautiful.

The tomb stood open. The large stone moved. She stopped, then lifting her skirts ran as fast as she could, tears streaming down her face. She reached the upper room and flung opened the door. “Peter!” “John!” “He’s gone! They have taken him! He’s Gone!”

Watching the men run from the room she paused to catch her breath but soon found herself running back to the tomb. She arrives as they are leaving. Their disbelief replaced by resignation. Too consumed in conversation they don't see her return.

Walking up to the tomb she bent to look in. A blinding light flooded the darkness. Blinking at the light her eyes begin to focus, not on the strips lying on the shelf, but on the two men seated. Their voices full of compassion they asked, ”Woman, why  are you crying?” Didn’t they know? Who were they? Where had they come from?

“They have taken my Lord!, And I don’t know where they have put him.” With these words out she began to sob. The weight of sad from the last few days crushing her. Covering her face with her hands she turns to leave.

“Woman, why are your crying?” The voice sounded so familiar. “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.” Sobs coming harder now. She is doubled over as the sobs rack her body. “Please,  just tell me where he is.”

“Mary.” A single word. Her name. Spoken by the one who had saved her. She had heard it when he had cast out the demons. Heard it when she served meals to the twelve. She thought she would never hear it again and yet she just had. He had spoken her name! Her hands flew off her eyes and she gazed at him.

“Teacher!” She rushed to him, Fell at his feet reached to touch him. “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.”

Her sorrow replaced by sheer joy and happiness. She had seen him. The excitement bubbled up out of her! For the second time that morning she lifted her skirts and ran to the upper room. Bursting into the room she exclaimed, “I have seen the Lord!” I have seen the Lord!”

Mary could not contain herself. She told everything that had happened to her.

I have seen the Lord and my life is not the same. I have seen the Lord.

I pray that this Easter you will take the opportunity to See the Lord and, like Mary, once you have seen him you will be unable to contain your excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment