Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gathering Manna

When the children of Israel left Egypt they left a life of slavery and oppression and ventured into what they thought would  be a short trip back to the promise land. After being free for only a short time the food ran out. No longer able to provide for themselves they began to grumble, complain  and  long for the security that their captivity had brought them. God stepped in. He told them of his provision. Manna. A seed like wafer that tastes like honey.

The manna came with some instructions. They could only gather what they needed for that day. Any manna leftover would spoil overnight. The exception of that being the day before Sabbath. Then they would gather for two days. This manner of provision required only one thing from the Israelites: Trust.

They had to trust that God would provide the manna. They had to get up in the morning and go out and gather the manna. They had a choice, they could decided they were not going to gather the manna and accept the provision. They could have sat in their tent and said He is not going to provide. They could have waited until they starved to death. God always provided until the day they entered the promise land. They just had to go gather.

In the last year I have learned that God still provides daily. While manna does not rain down each day other provisions are given every day. Strength, mercy, grace, forgiveness, love and peace. These are the daily provisions that God gives us. He pours these out into our lives so that we can pour them into the lives of others. But we, like the Israelites, have to trust. God will only give us what we need for that moment.

A few months ago I found myself curled on the floor of our closet. I was overwhelmed with my life. I cried out to God. I told him that this was too much! That I could not continue. I told Him that I was at the end of my strength. I was in the closet for 20 minutes. When I came out I was not happier than I went in. I was still overwhelmed but I trusted that God had the strength to carry me through. In my closet I had gathered my manna for that day. I started each morning “gathering manna”. Some days I had to go back and ask for more manna, more strength. Over the months I learned that God is trustworthy. He  always provides but we have to gather.

Each day we wake up lacking something. Each day God provides exactly what we need. We just need to get up, walk out of our tent and gather the manna.

No comments:

Post a Comment