Monday, December 19, 2011

How long is a little while?


I Peter 5:10: And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

After you have suffered a little while. So I understand the suffering part. But how long is a little while? After all in Psalms we are told that a thousand years in your sight is as a day so really, how long is a little while?

Is it when the money has run out but the bills keep coming? Is it when you have tried all the exercises your counselor has recommended but your marriage is still falling apart? Is it when Christmas is coming and you can’t afford presents for your kids? Is it when you are despised by those who you used to call friend?

Is a little while when the foreclosed sign appears in your yard? When the door closes behind your wife, as she moves out? Or the Doctor tells you they have done all they can?

Is a little while when you are accosted by a stranger and told you are worthless? Or when you are ignored by family because of your choice to stay?

A little while, I’ve used that  one too God. When my kids ask when we are leaving to run an errand, it’s not for an hour but I say, “in a little while.” When my husband asks how much longer before I come to bed I say, “in a little while.” Or when a friend asks when I am going to sit down a rest, “in a little while.” It’s a very ambiguous term. Something someone uses when they don’t want to commit themselves to a real timetable.

But you, the author of time, does a little while depend more on my response than an actual measure of time. Does a little while mean when I give up control and surrender to your plan. When I stop trying fix it myself. When I do everything you have asked me. When I am still, and acknowledge the you are God. When I give up worry, striving and anger and I allow you to shape my soul. Is this what a little while looks like to you, Lord?

If this is a little while then let me learn quickly the lessons I need to. Let me release my stronghold and let you shape me. Please Lord, let a little while only be a little while!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for putting down in words those things which others are thinking and going through but are unable to form into thoughts.
    Thank God he is gracious and his meaning of "a little while" is not just an amount of time but holds so much more for those who call themselves his children!

    ReplyDelete